Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Homebrewing for the Holidays

Howdy!

I just bottled a Molasses (wh)E(at)SB, and the dregs are telling me that I've got the makings of a nice, little, easy-drinking brew that will enter my glass in about 3 weeks. It's pretty young tasting, but I know it will be good, someday soon! It will be a great way to ring in the new year.

Also, my mama came down to visit the other day, and sampled the Witbier I brewed for Mama. It went over well. She was downing them two at a time, and loving it. It was a great way to welcome a family member to the house for a scheduled visit - to have a beer brewed just for them! When you know you're going to have some guests coming, planning out a piece of your pipeline to make something they'll love is a great little trick to help folks feel welcome. Also, I felt pretty welcome downing bottle after bottle, myself. A good witbier is one of the easiest-drinking lawnmower beers out there, and this one was no exception. The addition of chamomile really worked well, and the absence of orange peel was not noticed due, in part I must assume, to the hoppy late addition. I had read that orange peel was used not to give an orange flavor, but to give bitterness. Well, hops do that, too, and they will also provide their late-addition flavors. In this case, Styrian Celeja worked very well, and enhanced the chamomile and coriander presence. I expect to make this a regular rotation brew, and look forward to making one in the spring for summer quaffing.

The holidays are coming at us faster than a greased monkey on a fireman's pole, so I'm going to squeeze a brewday in tonight. I plan on experimenting with an herbal gruit and some of the herbs we have in the garden. I'm still poking at recipe formulations and pondering what would taste best. My idea is to use herbs and spices that aid in particular functions of the body. Example: Cinnamon is great for circulation in the extremities. It has healing powers that can aid in cardiovascular health. Chili peppers, as well, aid circulation, and keep the blood flowing through the veins to the extremities. Ginger, and chamomile, and fennel, and all these common household spices and herbs are also healing aids that could be harnessed for the forces of good. In this case, I'm trying to find a balance between healing properties and excellent flavor. I don't personally think a cinnamon, chamomile, hot pepper combination would be good in anything but the compost heap...

Any ideas, let me know. One of these minutes I'm going to check out this book from the library.




No comments:

Post a Comment