Sunday, February 3, 2013

Update on Experiments and Progress

Work's been a real bear, and has kept me from real beer.

That said, I just cracked open a Mayan Apocalypse Death Brew, and I think I've found out what the top end of hoppiness tastes like. It's actually more enjoyable than I expected. The Barley Wine strength helps, and I'm going to put away all the bottles that remain until next Christmas, because I suspect the complexity and enjoyment will come next year.

I've also got two new brews sitting in the primaries. They're both ready to move to a Secondary, and I just haven't had a free moment to make that happen!

My first Oatmeal Stout Porter is done and ready to bottle, by now, most likely! Beside it a light and fluffy American Wheat Beer brewed with Willamette Hops and canned purple plums is sitting there, waiting for the transfer to secondary, soaking up plum wine-iness, I assume. (The latter is a small, experimental batch because I'm thinking of planting a plum tree, and I'm curious to know if I could use them successfully for beer. The former is the THING I AM MOST EXCITED ABOUT IN THE WORLD OUTSIDE OF WORK right now. I love stouts and porters, and oatmeal stouts and oatmeal porters.

I have pictures and a recipe or two kicking around here, but I don't know where they are, right now. The only one I remember off-hand was the wheat beer with Plums. I took two cans of Oregan plums in the primary, drained of their juices but unrinsed, and a 60/40 Red Wheat/Two Row ratio, with Willamette hops equally at 60, 30, and 10 to reach from 14 to 16 IBU. Lallemand Safale US-05 is my go to yeast for most purposes, and I know I used it for both brews, though I couldn't tell you what was in the Oatmeal Stout Porter besides the yeast without my notes and pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment