Monday, June 16, 2014

American Red Ale, a House Favorite

I oak aged one like this for Thanksgiving. I am going to keep it clean and simplified.

8 pounds of American 2 row
8 ounces Crystal 40
6 ounces Crystal 120l
4 ounces Roasted Barley
2 ounces torrified wheat
1/2 ounce glacier at 60 minutes
1/2 ounce glacier at 20 minutes
Nottingham Yeast at about 68 degrees
A single infusion mash at 153 for an hour, with a mashout to 170.
It is cooling off, now, and I am about to crack open a cold one and relax after a great, extremely hot brewday!
This one is a gift for my dad when he gets down here. He really like a malty, flavorful ale. When I get a keg system, some fine day, I will probably try to keep a keg of this one handy. It is a real house favorite. Everybody loves a solid red ale!

No comments:

Post a Comment