Friday, September 12, 2014

Cyser Update, and More

I couldn't fit the racking cane that I had into the apple juice jug. Instead, I had to carefully pour off the cyser into sanitized mason jars, trying to leave as much dead yeast behind as I could. The first was completely clear, and the jars got cloudier as I went.

I let them sit and settle out the mess. Then, I poured them (carefully, with a funnel!) back into the cleaned and sanitized cider jug, itself.

Flavor after one month is hot and spicy, like a British yeast brewed way too warm. I'm going to let it sit for at least two more months in the lagering fridge to let the off flavors settle down into a true, wine-like cyser. Even though it is currently very young and very yeasty, the flavor is quite nice beneath. It is sweet and estery, with lots and lots of floral notes from the honey. We'll see how it ages.

I am down to exactly two bottles of Cranberry-Chipotle Porter. I can't seem to find my notes on the recipe, but I remember it used 1 ounce of Nugget hops, divided into 3 equal additions at 60, 30, and 5. The cranberries were cooked and pureed with a can of chipotles, and added to the secondary. Hm... I know it involved, also, about a 1.5 pounds of Carafa 1 as the only roasted grain...

Alas, my notes. This is why I am trying to keep this blog going, so I have a searchable database of notes! (I actually don't think anyone is really reading along when there are better and wiser brewing blogs out there!)

I am also tinkering with the idea of a Franco-American Pale Ale

10 pounds of American Pilsner
2 pounds of American 6-row
1 pound of Munich 20l
1/2 ounce of Nugget @60
1/2 ounce of Nugget @5
Wyeast Trappist High Gravity

Multi-step mash with protein, Alpha, and beta rests...

I'm poking at it, though, because a part of me wants Vienna and Biscuit, not Munich. A part of me wants Special B and Vienna... I don't know. I'm poking around about that last pound of the grain.

If anyone actually is reading and has any thoughts, let me know?

No comments:

Post a Comment